So I was at work last night and was faced with being accused of saying something that could be interpreted as racist. As I have said I work with all black people. And I should say that I am the farthest thing from being a racist. If anything I am the complete opposite and am one of the most opened people I know. So anyways, I was on register and I had some cold items that needed to be taken back right away so they wouldn't go bad. So I called over the PA system for a "bag boy", which since the people who bag are mainly boys and that is what we call them at Hannaford's (the grocery store i work at in NY). Later, my supervisor came over to me and was like "Please don't call them "bag boys", call them "baggers" because the term "boy" is offensive to people of color." (as she pointed to her own arm). I was horrified at the fact that someone might think I was being racist. To be honest I was not even thinking that what I was saying could be misinterpreted. I feel horrible. I have never faced this before. I have never been accused of being racist. Needless to say, I will be watching what I say at work from now on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment