Mr. and Mrs. Haines

Mr. and Mrs. Haines

Friday, March 26, 2010

Without Shoes/ Donating shoes


Well Here it is almost 1 am my time and I should be asleep like my boyfriend has been for the past 3 hours... but I was researching getting a new bed when I thought about recycling shoes! My Cousin on my dad's side, Elizabeth asked me to be part of this cause of Facebook being put on by Toms. http://www.toms.com/ He runs an organization that makes money to donate shoes to people without shoes in third world countries. And I guess they are holding a international day to raise awareness on how it feel not to have shoes by taking a day to walk around without shoes on all day. Sounds pretty interesting.


One Day Without Shoes is the day we spread awareness about the impact a simple pair of shoes can have on a child’s life. On April 8th, we ask people to go the day, part of the day or even just a few minutes, barefoot, to experience a life without shoes first-hand, and inspire others at the same time.

You must OFFICIALLY register at http://www.onedaywithoutshoes.com to be entered to WIN a TOMS Shoe Drop!!
FAQ:

. . Why would a shoe company sponsor an event to not wear shoes...
Why would a company GIVE away a pair of shoes for every pair they sold? Sure, it might sound crazy at first but One Day Without Shoes expresses everything we stand for: educating consumers about the impact a pair of shoes can have on a child's like and empowering them with simple actions that address the need for shoes. Learn more athttp://www.onedaywithoutshoes.com

. . Sorry, I work... I can't participate!
There are a ton of creative ways to participate in One Day Without Shoes. Walk for an hour barefoot after work, plan a barefoot evening event or breakfast with friends, participate simply by sharing the message with friends who are able go with no shoes. The possibilities are endless, and people are getting creative. There are plenty of events all across the country: search by zip code at http://www.onedaywithoutshoes.com

. . Will i get in trouble for not wearing shoes??
We hope not. But we've anticipated your coworkers, teachers, principals, or community leaders having questions. We have a letter you can download and send to them athttp://www.onedaywithoutshoes.com. Go check it out!


But I want to donate used shoes. My boyfriend goes through his shoes like no other. And so do my brothers. And i know many of you probably have kids who grow out of their shoes before they really have the time to do much damage to them. Maybe not but maybe so. So i'm putting it out there. Dont just throw them out. Donate them to an organization that will hand them out to the less fortunate.



Here are a few websites.



http://donateyouroldshoes.org/ (this i found to be the most helpful to what I was looking for)

http://www.recycledrunners.com/

http://www.toms.com/

http://www.OneDayWithoutShoes.com

http://www.runtheplanet.com/shoes/selection/recycle.asp

http://www.soles4souls.org/donate/

1 comments:

TBird and Mikelle said...

I have seen those tom shoes too, I think Oprah did a show on them. He is an amazing guy.. I like hearing stories of people helping out others.