So this weekend was New York State's PEO Convention. P.E.O. is a philanthropic organization where women celebrate the advancement of women; educate women through scholarships, grants, awards, loans, and stewardship of Cottey College; and motivate women to achieve their highest aspirations. I am a third generation PEO. My mimi is a PEO as well as my mom. I also have a great aunt who is a PEO and my grandma's sister who is an inactive PEO.
Anyways, I had a blast. Per usual. This is my second convention. There are 79 chapters of PEO in New York state. We all get together once a year in a central location. We spend most the time meeting new people and seeing old friends; getting to know one another. The rest of the time we learn what it means to be a true PEO and what good we do by helping women get their education. Last year I went unplanned. And unsure. It was the best thing i ever did. It made me realize that I have friends wherever i go and that I dont need to be afraid to get out there and socialize. To get out there and be myself. This year I volunteered before our chapter president even asked. And i persuaded a brand new PEO in our chapter to go with me as delegates for our chapter so she could get a bigger understanding of what we do and why she joined. Convention really opens your eyes to the bigger picture and the possibilities that we have to offer as a sisterhood. I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to not only get to experience this again for myself but to have shared it with another member of my chapter. This year I was so excited to get out of town. It was not only nice to do that but to go somewhere where I was accepted by strangers with open arms for who i was and in return wanted to know me. I took PLENTY of pictures. Every time i sat down, i conversed with someone new. I learned about them as they learned about me. And then i pulled out the camera took a photo of everyone at the table. And then passed around a piece of paper and got their information. Without hesitation. I grew. I came home with 20 new friends. And next year when i go to convention I will be able to go up to everyone i met this year and say " Hey how are you?" and pick up where we left off. Not only that but this year I think i left a lasting impression on almost everyone i met this weekend. I am so thankful to be part of such a great organization. Here is 1/4 of the photo's.







0 comments:
Post a Comment